JYX > Data-aineistot > Tutkimusdata > View Item
Dataset of Winning in the Long Run: Towards a Psychosocial Sustainability of Adolescent Dual Careers
Voitto pitkällä aikavälillä: kohti psykososiaalista kestävyyttä kaksoisuralla -tutkimusaineisto
Ryba, Tatiana V.; Aunola, Kaisa. Dataset of Winning in the Long Run: Towards a Psychosocial Sustainability of Adolescent Dual Careers. V. 10.12.2022.
ContributorsSelänne, Harri; Ronkainen, Noora; Saarinen, Milla; Korhonen, Natalia; Kalaja, Sami; Nurmi, Jari-Erik; Suomen Olympiakomitea ry; Finnish Olympic Committee
Restricted use due to personal information protection. You can still contact author to ask for a copy of the material.
Ryba, Tatiana, Aunola, Kaisa and University of Jyväskylä
With the aim to investigate psychological resilience factors and vulnerabilities of a dual career construction in late adolescence and how they impact the life course, we have collected longitudinal mixed methods data from 391/453 student-athletes, aged 16/17 at the baseline (T1/T2) and enrolled in 6/7 elite sport upper secondary schools across Finland, their parents/guardians, and coaches. The current dataset consists of: (1) self-report questionnaires of student-athletes gathered 6 times (a) at the beginning of upper secondary school, (b) at the end of the first year, (c) at the end of the second school year, (d) at the beginning of the third school year, (e) at the end of the third school year, and (f) at the beginning of the fourth year; (2) life story interviews, including art-based, visual storytelling, with 18 talented and elite student-athletes at the matching time-points during the upper secondary; (3) self-report questionnaires of the participants’ parents/legal guardians at the beginning and the end of the upper secondary; (4) one-time, semi-structured interviews with 10 male, youth ice-hockey coaches from a club in Finland; (5) one-time, semi-structured interviews with 10 female and male cross-country ski coaches in Finland; and (6) one-time, semi-structured interviews with 15 female and male athletics (track-and-field) coaches from a club in Finland. Student-athlete questionnaires were constructed to examine development of the participants’ motivation, identity, psychological well-being, future orientation and career adaptability resources in and across sport and school contexts. Parental questionnaires were constructed to examine, for example, the role of parenting styles, expectations, own education, athletic background and well-being in the outcome measures of adolescent participants. Life story interviews were designed to obtain a deeper understanding of how young people make sense of their life trajectories in particular socio-cultural contexts, marked by concrete events, relationships, and transitions. Coaches were interviewed to explore the discourses that underpin their coaching philosophy and views on holistic development (e.g., dual career, lifelong participation, life-skills) of gendered athletes and how the derived meanings shape their coaching practice. Data were collected in 2015-2018. Follow-up data on dual career status, athletic and academic achievements, employment, economic situation, dimensions of emerging adulthood (IDEA), mood states, motivation, identity, psychological well-being, career adaptability resources, and impact of COVID-19 on young people’s life course were collected in Autumn 2021, when they transitioned to early adulthood (n=238). ...
vanhemmat parents psyykkinen kehitys psychological development elämänkaari course of life kulttuuriympäristö cultural environment urheilulukiot sports-oriented general upper secondary schools urheilijat athletes valmentajat coaches (occupations) opiskelijat students futuurit futures sukupuoli gender nuorisotutkimus youth research pitkittäistutkimus longitudinal research
Publication(s) related to the dataset
- Ryba, T. V., Aunola, K., Kalaja, S., Selänne, H., Ronkainen, N. J., & Nurmi, J.-E. (2016). A new perspective on adolescent athletes’ transition into upper secondary school : A longitudinal mixed methods study protocol. Cogent Psychology, 3(1). https://doi.org/10.1080/23311908.2016.1142412 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/48937
- Ryba, T. V., Stambulova, N. B., Selänne, H., Aunola, K., & Nurmi, J.-E. (2017). “Sport has always been first for me” but “all my free time is spent doing homework” : Dual career styles in late adolescence. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 33, 131-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2017.08.011 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/55456
- Saarinen, M., Ryba, T. V., Kavoura, A., & Aunola, K. (2023). “Women easily feel that they have lost a year if they don’t ski faster” : Finnish ski coaches’ discursive constructions of gendered dual career pathways. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 64, Article 102322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2022.102322 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/83707
- Ronkainen, N. J., Ryba, T. V., Littlewood, M., & Selänne, H. (2018). ‘School, family and then hockey!’ : Coaches’ views on dual career in ice hockey. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 13(1), 38-45. https://doi.org/10.1177/1747954117712190 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/60349
- Sorkkila, M., Aunola, K., & Ryba, T. V. (2017). A person-oriented approach to sport and school burnout in adolescent student-athletes: The role of individual and parental expectations. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 28, 58-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2016.10.004 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/51675
- Aunola, K., Sorkkila, M., Viljaranta, J., Tolvanen, A., & Ryba, T. V. (2018). The role of parental affection and psychological control in adolescent athletes’ symptoms of school and sport burnout during the transition to upper secondary school. Journal of Adolescence, 69, 140-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2018.10.001 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/60016
- Sorkkila, M., Aunola, K., Salmela-Aro, K., Tolvanen, A., & Ryba, T. V. (2018). The Co-developmental Dynamic of Sport and School Burnout among Student-Athletes : The Role of Achievement Goals. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 28(6), 1731-1742. https://doi.org/10.1111/sms.13073 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/58589
- Sorkkila, M., Ryba, T. V., Aunola, K., Selänne, H., & Salmela-Aro, K. (2020). Sport burnout inventory - dual career form for student-athletes : assessing validity and reliability in a finnish sample of adolescent athletes. Journal of Sport and Health Science, 9(4), 358-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jshs.2017.10.006 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/71626
- Aunola, K., Selänne, A., Selänne, H., & Ryba, T. V. (2018). The role of adolescent athletes' task value patterns in their educational and athletic career aspirations. Learning and Individual Differences, 63, 34-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2018.03.004 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/57434
- Sorkkila, M., Tolvanen, A., Aunola, K., & Ryba, T. V. (2019). The Role of Resilience in Student-Athletes’ Sport and School Burnout and Dropout : A Longitudinal Person-oriented Study. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 29(7), 1059-1067. https://doi.org/10.1111/sms.13422 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/64555
- Ronkainen, N. J., & Ryba, T. V. (2020). Developing narrative identities in youth pre-elite sport : bridging the present and the future. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, 12(4), 548-562. https://doi.org/10.1080/2159676X.2019.1642238 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/71322
- Ryba, T. V., Aunola, K., Ronkainen, N. J., Selänne, H., & Kalaja, S. (2016). Urheilijoiden kaksoisuraan liittyvän tutkimuksen tämänhetkinen tilanne Suomessa. Liikunta ja tiede, 53(2-3), 88-95. https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/50530
- Ronkainen, N. J., Ryba, T. V., & Selänne, H. (2019). “She is where I’d want to be in my career” : Youth athletes’ role models and their implications for career and identity construction. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 45, Article 101562. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2019.101562 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/65408
- Sorkkila, M., Ryba, T. V., Selänne, H., & Aunola, K. (2020). Development of School and Sport Burnout in Adolescent Student-Athletes : A Longitudinal Mixed-Methods Study. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 30(S1), 115-133. https://doi.org/10.1111/jora.12453 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/72874
- Ryba, T. V., Zhang, C.-Q., Huang, Z., & Aunola, K. (2017). Career Adapt-Abilities Scale – Dual Career Form (CAAS-DC) : psychometric properties and initial validation in high-school student-athletes. Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine, 5(1), 85-100. https://doi.org/10.1080/21642850.2016.1273113 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/52775
- Ronkainen, N. J., Ryba, T. V., McDougall, M., Tod, D., & Tikkanen, O. (2022). Hobby, career or vocation? Meanings in sports coaching and their implications for recruitment and retention of coaches. Managing Sport and Leisure, 27(4), 381-396. https://doi.org/10.1080/23750472.2020.1803108 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/71404
- Heikura, E. E., Aunola, K., Tolvanen, A., Ryba, T. V., & Selänne, H. (2023). Student-athletes’ mood state profiles : the role of sports, sex, and performance level in sports and in school. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, Early online. https://doi.org/10.1080/10413200.2022.2158250
- Nikander, A., & Ryba, T. (2020). Urheilua urheilun vai urheilun ja elämän vuoksi?. Valmentaja, 2020(2), 8-10.
- Nikander, J. A., Aunola, K., Tolvanen, A., & Ryba, T. V. (2022). Associations Between Student‐Athletes’ Self‐Esteem and Career Adaptability Across the High School Years. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 32(4), 789-797. https://doi.org/10.1111/sms.14114 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/79336
- Nikander, J., Tolvanen, A., Aunola, K., & Ryba, T. V. (2022). The role of individual and parental expectations in student-athletes’ career adaptability profiles. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 59, Article 102127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2021.102127 https://jyx.jyu.fi/handle/123456789/79105
Dataset in research information system
MetadataShow full item record
- Tutkimusdata 
Related funder(s)Opetus- ja kulttuuriministeriö; Ministry of Education and Culture
Showing items with similar title or keywords.
The role of individual and parental expectations in student-athletes’ career adaptability profiles Nikander, Jaakko; Tolvanen, Asko; Aunola, Kaisa; Ryba, Tatiana V. (Elsevier BV, 2022)To support holistic development, adolescent student-athletes are encouraged to integrate sport with education/academics (i.e., dual careers). Career adaptability, as a psychological resource, may help youth athletes cope ...
A new perspective on adolescent athletes’ transition into upper secondary school : A longitudinal mixed methods study protocol Ryba, Tatiana V.; Aunola, Kaisa; Kalaja, Sami; Selänne, Harri; Ronkainen, Noora J.; Nurmi, Jari-Erik (Cogent OA, an imprint of Taylor & Francis, 2016)The challenge of combining elite sport and education into a dual career pathway remains to be a source of concern for many high-performance athletes. Previous research findings suggest that committed participation in ...
The role of gender and coaching styles in adolescent student-athletes’ motivational orientations in sport and school Saarinen, Milla; Tolvanen, Asko; Aunola, Kaisa; Ryba, Tatiana V. (Springer Science and Business Media LLC, 2022)Research indicates that the dominant discourses of gender are ingrained in dual career (DC) practices critically influencing athletes’ motivation to construct a DC pathway. While it is important to ensure that all athletes ...
The Future-oriented Hopes and Goals of Dual Career Athletes at Different Stages of High School Sääksi-Bologova, Pauliina (2020)Yksi identiteetin muodostumisen avainprosesseista on se, miten yksilö näkee tulevaisuutensa. Tulevaisuuteen suuntautuminen on erityisen tärkeää nuoruudessa, sillä nuoruudessa tehdyt päätökset voivat vaikuttaa merkittävästi ...
Is timing everything? : a longitudinal perspective on adult transitions, their antecedents, and psychological implications Räikkönen, Eija (University of Jyväskylä, 2012)