Developing mixed methods research in sport and exercise psychology : potential contributions of a critical realist perspective
Ryba, T. V., Wiltshire, G., North, J., & Ronkainen, N. J. (2022). Developing mixed methods research in sport and exercise psychology : potential contributions of a critical realist perspective. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 20(1), 147-167. https://doi.org/10.1080/1612197X.2020.1827002
© 2020 The Author(s). Published by Informa UK Limited, trading as Taylor & Francis Group
Notwithstanding diverse opinions and debates about mixing methods, mixed methods research (MMR) is increasingly being used in sport and exercise psychology. In this paper, we describe MMR trends within leading sport and exercise psychology journals and explore critical realism as a possible underpinning framework for conducting MMR. Our meta-study of recent empirical mixed methods studies published in 2017–2019 indicates that eight (36%) of the 22 MMR studies explicitly stated a paradigmatic position (five drew on pragmatism, two switched paradigms between qualitative and quantitative elements of the study, and one was situated in relativist-interpretivism). The remaining 14 (64%) studies did not report their underpinning research philosophical assumptions. Evaluating the merits and limitations of these positions against critical realist assumptions suggests that several paradigmatic disagreements are potentially reconcilable. These include (a) maintaining that ontological and epistemological concerns are important for methodological integrity of a mixed methods study; (b) switching between paradigms in the same study is problematic; and (c) refuting the qualitative-quantitative incommensurability thesis, therefore allowing mixed methods research without compromising philosophical coherence. From a critical realist position, we suggest that both quantitative and qualitative designs are justifiable in a mixed methods study because (1) they help corroborate, refine, or refute plausible explanations of phenomena (epistemological), but (2) with different methodologies utilised to perform different tasks in the same research design related to different psycho-social system features (ontological). We call for a collaborative engagement by researchers across paradigmatic positions to work towards the advancement of methodological pluralism in our research community. ...
PublisherTaylor & Francis
Publication in research information system
MetadataShow full item record
Related funder(s)Ministry of Education and Culture
Showing items with similar title or keywords.
Research Perspectives : Reconsidering the Role of Research Method Guidelines for Interpretive, Mixed Methods, and Design Science Research Siponen, Mikko; Soliman, Wael; Holtkamp, Philipp (Association for Information Systems, 2021)Information systems (IS) scholars have proposed guidelines for interpretive, mixed methods, and design science research in IS. Because many of these guidelines are also suggested for evaluating what good or rigorous research ...
Ronkainen, Noora J.; Wiltshire, Gareth (Taylor & Francis, 2021)Over the last two decades, the relativist approach has significantly shaped debates about the quality and rigour of qualitative research in sport and exercise psychology (SEP). In the absence of any published critiques of ...
Åkerblad, Leena; Seppänen-Järvelä, Riitta; Haapakoski, Kaisa (SAGE Publications, 2021)Despite the critical role of integration as a methodological concept in mixed methods studies, researchers lack a theory for integrating. In this article, we introduce the concept of integrative strategy by analyzing three ...
Three team and organisational culture myths and their consequences for sport psychology research and practice McDougall, Michael; Ronkainen, Noora; Richardson, David; Littlewood, Martin; Nesti, Mark (Routledge, 2020)In this article, three prevailing myths about team and organisational culture – an increasingly popular topic in applied sport psychology research and practice – are identified, reviewed and challenged. These are; that ...
Grand theories or design guidelines? : Perspectives on the role of theory in computing education research Tedre, Matti; Pajunen, John (Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), 2022)A rich body of empirically grounded results and a solid theory base have often been viewed as signs of a mature discipline. Many disciplines have frequently debated what they should accept as legitimate kinds of theories, ...