Varjosta valokeilaan : kriittisiä diskurssianalyyseja huonosta johtamisesta
Published inJyväskylä studies in business and economics
The aim of this dissertation is to qualitatively describe and explain bad leader- ship and the role of the bad leader within. The dissertation consists of five orig- inal articles and the introductory section. The study is based on the foundation formed by research on bad leadership and research on discourse analysis. The focus is on the role of language in the construction, reconstruction and mainte- nance of meanings. The first of the articles contains the description of the discursive approach applied in the studies. This approach is implemented in the four remaining arti- cles, with analyzed samples of 430 media texts, a published research report (95 p.) and over 3 hours of transcribed seminar proceedings (45 p.). Each of the four remaining articles approaches the phenomenon of bad leadership from a differ- ent angle and forms an independent study. The results of the study contain the following conclusions: first, the bad leader as a phenomenon is recognized but not truly acknowledged. The discur- sive choices made by the participants of the leadership discourses construct and maintain the representations of “the good leader” and “leader as a victim of context”, both of which are used to silence the bad leader discourse. The discur- sive choices reflect the underlying values, prioritizing business over people and private sector over public sector values. Secondly, the leader is, through discur- sive methods and use of discursive power, separated from the phenomenon of bad leadership, instead of being a crucial subject in it. Thirdly, the phenomena of otherness, silence and silencing act as methods of legitimation of bad leader- ship and also support the institutionalization of the Good Leader. Finally, the media has a central role as an active participant in production, dissemination and management of leadership discourses. ...
Alternative titleKriittisiä diskurssianalyyseja huonosta johtamisesta
- Article I: Pynnönen, A. 2013 Diskurssianalyysi. Tapa tutkia, tulkita ja olla kriittinen.. Jyväskylän yliopiston kauppakorkeakoulu, Working paper 379/2013 Full text.
- Article II:: Pynnönen, Anu & Takala, Tuomo (2013).Recognised but not acknowledged: Searching for the bad leader in theory and text. Electronic Journal of Organization and Business Studies 18(2) 4-19. Full text.
- Article III:: Pynnönen, Anu (2015). Vaiennettu huono johtaminen: Kunta-alan johtamisen diskurssien kriittistä tarkastelua. Hallinnon Tutkimus 34 (1) 61-78.
- Article IV: Pynnönen, Anu & Takala, Tuomo (2014). Apposition, contradiction, conflict and domination: The competing discourses of the Finnish municipal manager. International Journal of Public Sector Management 27(7) 581 - 597. DOI: 10.1108/IJPSM-04-2014-0057
- Article V: Pynnönen, Anu & Takala, Tuomo (2014). The discursive dance : the employee co-operation negotiations as an arena for manage- ment-by-fear. Submitted to Journal of Business Ethics 2014. Status: under review.
MetadataShow full item record
- Väitöskirjat