Stretch-shortening cycle in skeletal muscle function : with special reference to elastic energy and potentiation of myoelectrical activity
Mechanical behaviour of human leg extensor muscles was investigated under conditions of varied stretch-shortening (eccentric-concentric) cycle movements of the vertical jump. In these exercises the muscular performance was always greater than that in pure concentric contraction. The enhanced performance was due to the storage and re-use of elastic energy. When examined with 226 subjects this elastic potentiation was observed to be both sex and age dependent. In another series of experiments the pre-stretch movement prior to shortening shifted the force-velocity curve to the right. Similarly the net mechanical efficiency of the positive work was increased from 20 % (no rebound jumps) to 30-40 % (rebound jumps). The results also indicated that not only the mechanical behaviour of muscle was modified due to stretching of active muscle, but the electromyographic activity was also increased, but primarily during the eccentric phase of the cycle. Elastic potentiation was also sensitive to the duration and velocity of the stretch and suggestion was made that, although the influence of muscle structure was not examined directly in the present study, utilization of elastic energy may occur differently according to whether slow or fast muscles were activated under various conditions of the stretch-shortening cycle. ...
- Artikkeli I: Bosco, C., and P. V. Komi (1980). Influence of aging on the mechanical behaviour of leg extensor muscles. European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, 45, 209-219. DOI: 10.1007/BF00421329
- Artikkeli II: Bosco, C., and P. V. Komi (1979). Potentiation of mechanical behaviour of the human skeletal muscle through prestretching. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, 106, 467-472. DOI: 10.1111/j.1748-1716.1979.tb06427.x
- Artikkeli III: Bosco, C., P. V. Komi, and A. Ito. (1981). Prestretch potentiation of human skeletal muscle during ballistic movement. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, 111, 135-140. DOI: 10.1111/j.1748-1716.1981.tb06716.x
- Artikkeli IV: Bosco, C., J. T. Viitasalo, P. V. Komi, and P. Luhtanen (1982). Combined effect of elastic energy and myoelectrical potentiation during stretch-shortening cycle exercise. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, 114, 557-565. DOI: 10.1111/j.1748-1716.1982.tb07024.x
- Artikkeli V: Bosco, C., A. Ito, P. V. Komi, P. Luhtanen, P. Rahkila, H. Rusko, and J. T. Viitasalo (1982). Neuromuscular function and mechanical efficiency of human leg extensor muscles during jumping exercises. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, 114, 543-550. DOI: 10.1111/j.1748-1716.1982.tb07022.x
MetadataShow full item record
- Väitöskirjat 
Showing items with similar title or keywords.
The effects of cold water immersion on medial gastrocnemius muscle architecture and performance post-exhaustive stretch-shortening cycle exercise Kositsky, Adam (2017)Cold water immersion (CWI) is a method highly used in the recovery from fatiguing exercise yet its efficacy is debated. It has been proposed that the resultant suppressed inflammation decreases pain and muscle soreness and ...
Gene expressions of SREBP-2, PPARδ, MYH7 and blood lipid changes induced by stretch-shortening cycle exercise Khalilpour, Armaghan (2011)The present study was to investigate whether the mRNA levels of the transcription factors, sterol regulatory element-binding protein-2 (SREBP-2), peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-δ (PPARδ) as well as slow type ...
In vivo muscle mechanics during human locomotion : fascicle-tendinous tissue interaction during stretch-shortening cycle exercises Ishikawa, Masaki (University of Jyväskylä, 2005)Masaki Ishikawan tutkimuksessa selvitettiin, kuinka lihasten ja jännerakenteiden yhteistoiminta hyödyntää elastista energiaa ihmisen liikkumisessa. Ulomman reisilihaksen ja kolmipäisen pohjelihaksen lihassolujen ja ...
Medial Gastrocnemius Muscle Architecture Is Altered After Exhaustive Stretch-Shortening Cycle Exercise Kositsky, Adam; Kidgell, Dawson J.; Avela, Janne (Frontiers Media, 2019)Muscle architecture is an important component of muscle function, and recent studies have shown changes in muscle architecture with fatigue. The stretch-shortening cycle is a natural way to study human locomotion, but ...
Muscle and joint stiffness regulation during normal and fatiguing stretch-shortening cycle exercise Kuitunen, Sami (University of Jyväskylä, 2010)