Rare beta decays and the spectrum-shape method
This is a thesis consisting of seven publications and an introductory part on theoretical studies on rare single beta decays. Firstly, the theoretical framework is applied to the computation of partial half-lives for few selected cases of rare single beta-decay transitions. This includes the study on a possible ultra-low-Q-value decay branch of 115Cd as well as the highly forbidden beta decays of 48Ca and 50V. The double magic 48Ca is one of the few experimentally verified nuclei that decay via the two-neutrino mode of double beta decay. A theoretical study on the single beta-decay branches was used to inspect the competition between the single and double beta-decay channels. In the case of 50V the theoretical framework is used to examine the detectability of the beta-minus decay branch that leads to the first excited 2+ state of 50Cr. To access the finer details of the theory the usual analysis of beta-decay transitions is extended by the introduction of the next-to-leading-order terms of the beta-decay shape factor. A comparison between the leading-order and the next-to-leading-order contributions is performed in the case of the fourth- forbidden decay branches of 113Cd and 115In. Finally, an overview on the recently introduced spectrum-shape method is given. The spectrum-shape method (SSM) was developed for the extraction of the effective values of the weak coupling constants as a complementary approach to the usual partial half-life considerations. Highly encouraging results are obtained when SSM is applied to the beta decay of 113Cd. In this initial application of the method consistent values of the two coupling constant were found when the calculations were performed using three different nuclear models. ...
PublisherUniversity of Jyväskylä
- Artikkeli I: Haaranen, M. & Suhonen, J. (2013). Beta decay of 115Cd and its possible ultra-low Q-value branch. The European Physical Journal A, 49, 93. DOI: 10.1140/epja/i2013-13093-8
- Artikkeli II: Haaranen, M., Horoi, M., & Suhonen, J. (2014). Shell-model study of the 4th- and 6th-forbidden β -decay branches of 48-Ca. Physical Review C, 89(3), Article 034315. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevC.89.034315
- Artikkeli III: Haaranen, M., Srivastava, P. C., Suhonen, J., & Zuber, K. (2014). β-decay half-life of V 50 calculated by the shell model. Physical review C, 90(4), Article 044314. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevC.90.044314
- Artikkeli IV: Alanssari, M., Frekers, D., Eronen, T., Canete, L., Dilling, J., Haaranen, M., Hakala, J., Holl, M., Ješkovský, M., Jokinen, A., Kankainen, A., Koponen, J., Mayer, A. J., Moore, I., Nesterenko, D., Pohjalainen, I., Povinec, P., Reinikainen, J., Rinta-Antila, S., . . . Wieser, M. E. (2016). Single and Double Beta-Decay Q Values among the Triplet 96Zr, 96Nb, and 96Mo. Physical Review Letters, 116(7), Article 072501. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.072501
- Artikkeli V: Haaranen, M., Srivastava, P. C., & Suhonen, J. (2016). Forbidden nonunique β decays and effective values of weak coupling constants. Physical Review C, 93(3), Article 034308. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevC.93.034308
- Artikkeli VI: Haaranen, M., Kotila, J.-M., & Suhonen, J. (2017). Spectrum-shape method and the next-to-leading-order terms of the β-decay shape factor. Physical Review C, 95(2), Article 024327. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevC.95.024327
- Artikkeli VII: Kostensalo, J., Haaranen, M., & Suhonen, J. (2017). Electron spectra in forbidden β decays and the quenching of the weak axial-vector coupling constant gA. Physical Review C, 95(4), Article 044313. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevC.95.044313
MetadataShow full item record
- Väitöskirjat 
Showing items with similar title or keywords.
Confirmation of gA quenching using the revised spectrum-shape method for the analysis of the 113Cd β-decay as measured with the COBRA demonstrator Kostensalo, Joel; Suhonen, Jouni; Volkmer, Juliane; Zatschler, Stefan; Zuber, Kai (Elsevier, 2021)In this article we present an updated spectrum-shape analysis of the113Cd fourfold forbidden non-uniqueβ-decay transition in order to address the quenching of the weak axial-vector coupling gA in low-momentum exchange ...
Kasslin, Antti (2018)Tässä tutkimuksessa perehdytään K-kertaisesti kiellettyjen uniikkien beetasiirtymien faasiavaruusintegraaleihin. K-kertaisesti kielletyt uniikit beetasiirtymät ovat beetahajoamisten alaryhmä, ja faasiavaruusintegraalit ...
Isovector and isoscalar spin-multipole giant resonances in the parent and daughter nuclei of double-β-decay triplets Kauppinen, Elina; Suhonen, Jouni (American Physical Society, 2022)The strength distributions, including giant resonances, of isovector and isoscalar spin-multipole transitions in the commonly studied double-β-decay triplets are computed in the framework of the quasiparticle random-phase ...
Hayen, L.; Kostensalo, Joel; Severijns, N.; Suhonen, Jouni (American Physical Society, 2019)We study the dominant forbidden transitions in the antineutrino spectra of the fission actinides from 4 MeV onward using the nuclear shell model. Through explicit calculation of the shape factor, we show the expected changes ...
Hayen, L.; Kostensalo, J.; Severijns, N.; Suhonen, J. (American Physical Society, 2019)We describe here microscopic calculations performed on the dominant forbidden transitions in reactor antineutrino spectra above 4 MeV using the nuclear shell model. By taking into account Coulomb corrections in the most ...